About United Kingdom
Why study in UK
About United Kingdom
- The United Kingdom (United Kingdom) is located in the Northwest of Europe. The United Kingdom comprises four countries: England, Northern Ireland, Wales, and Scotland.
- London is the United Kingdom’s biggest city and also the most expensive to live in.
- English is the official language of the UK.
- The United Kingdom follows a parliamentary democracy, with a constitutional monarchy. Since 1952, the reigning Monarch of the United Kingdom is Queen Elizabeth, the second world’s longest-reigning head of state.
- The United Kingdom’s Stonehenge is one of the world’s seven wonders and oldest monuments, believed to have been built more than 3,000 years BC. .
- The oldest Education Institute in the United Kingdom is the University of Oxford.
- The total land area of the United Kingdom is 244,820 square kilometers and lies between the North Atlantic Ocean and the North Sea, and its South-Eastern coast within 35 km of the Coast of Northern France, separated by the English Channel.
- England is located in the Southeast part of the British Isles and separated from Scotland by the Cheviot Hills.
- To the west of the United Kingdom, along the Wales border, the landscape comprises steep hills and valleys, including the Cambrian Mountains. The collection of hills in Gloucestershire, called the Cotswold extends into the surrounding shires.
- The British Coastline is 11,083 miles long. It is connected to Europe by the Channel Tunnel, which is around 50 km long and is the longest underwater tunnel in the world.
- The main rivers and inlets are the River Thames, Severn, Humber, Tees, Tyne, and Severn.
- The highest mountain in England is Scafell Pike, at 978 meters, located in the Lake District.
- The highest point in the United Kingdom is the Ben Nevis Mountains at 1,345 meters above sea level.
- The United Kingdom has a relatively temperate climate, with mostly cool temperatures and abundant rain the whole year-round.
- The weather in the United Kingdom can be quite unpredictable and is rarely extreme.
- In summer, i.e. from January to August, the average temperatures range from 9-19 degrees Celsius. During extreme heat waves, the temperatures can reach as high as 30 degrees Celsius.
- During winter, i.e. from December to February, the average temperatures in the United Kingdom are around 2-7 degrees Celsius. Occasionally, temperatures drop below 0 degrees Celsius.
- The United Kingdom has the world’s 6th largest economy by nominal GDP and the 9th biggest economy in terms of purchasing power parity. It is regarded as one of the high-income economies and ranks 14th globally on the Human Development Index.
- United Kingdom currency, the Sterling Pound is the third-largest reserve currency in the world, following the US Dollar and the Euro.
- Tourism is a significant element of the British Economy, with over 27 million tourists arriving each year, and is ranked the 6th most popular tourist destination in the world, with London getting the most significant number of international visitors of any city in the world.
- The United Kingdom is a significant hub for engine manufacturing.
- The aerospace industry is the biggest in the United Kingdom, and the third biggest national aerospace industry in the world, with engines and wings for the Airbus A380 manufactured in the United Kingdom.
- The total population of the United Kingdom in 2020 is 67.8 million, making it the world’s 21st largest country by population.
- The majority (almost 84%) of the United Kingdom population is centered in England, with its capital London having total inhabitant of 8,136,000 whilst Glasgow has a population of 598,830. Meanwhile the country’s population is divided into cities like Scotland has a population of 8.4%, Wales at 4.8%, and Northern Ireland at 2.9% or the total population.
- The most spoken languages in the country are English, Polish, and Welsh.
- 95% of the total population of the United Kingdom only speak English, while the balance 5% speak a diverse mix of languages brought into the country through widespread immigration.
Why study in UK
Looking for the right mentors to support your IELTS, and Overseas Education journey? Why not fulfil your aspiration through The Prep Mentor? Contact us on the below mentioned details.